You will need:
1 cup Rice – I prefer brown or jasmine, but use your favorite
1 tblspn Coconut Oil
1 tspn Butter
1/4 cup Unsweetened Flake Coconut
1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk
1 cup Broth – I prefer vegetable, but you may also use chicken broth
Salt To your taste
Ground Black Pepper To your taste
2 tablespoons Unsweetened Lime juice – or 1 medium Lime juiced
2 teaspoons Lime zest
Rinse and drain rice, set aside.
1. Heat coconut oil and butter in a large skillet, use medium/high heat.
2. Add rice and coconut flakes, gently stir for 3-4 minutes.
3. Gently stir in lime juice.
4. Gently stir in coconut milk.
5. Gently stir in broth, add salt.
6. Bring to a low boil.
7. Once gently boiling, reduce heat to low and cover with a tight fitting lid.
8. Cook on low heat for 20 minutes. No peeking!
9. Remove from heat, keep covered for 5 minutes. Still no peeking!
10. Uncover and fluff with a fork, season with pepper, if desired.
This dish is wonderful served hot or cold. Get creative and think about adding fruit or vegetables, this dish definitely plays well with others.
On average, one MEDIUM lime has 2 tablespoons of lime juice in it.
One medium lime also has 2 teaspoons of lime zest in it.
So if a recipe calls for the juice of 1 lime you can substitute 2 tablespoons of bottled juice. Or if it calls for 1 tablespoon of lime juice and you’d rather use fresh you can just take the juice from 1/2 a lime.
Zest: The zest of a lime is the outer green layer of peel, which contains fragrant and flavorful oils. Also found in other citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons, grapefruits, and tangerines.